The Bridgeport and Port Jefferson Steamboat Company, a subsidiary of McAllister Towing, has immediate openings for Captain and Mates. Must hold at least a 1600 ton Master or Mate Inland and be local to either the NY or CT locations.
The Captain and Mate is responsible for and is required to supervise all crewmembers of the vessel to which he/she is assigned.
Description of Duties:
• Master or Mate of a Vessel.
• Responsible for the safe and efficient operation and performance of his crew, vessel, passengers and vehicles.
• Serve as Officer in Charge of the Navigation Watch.
• Assess and maintain vessel seaworthiness.
• Ensure the availability and serviceability of required lifesaving equipment, IBA’s, rescue boats, lifeboats and safety equipment. Must make sure all equipment is maintained in good condition.
• Verify the serviceability of all installed fire detection and firefighting systems and equipment.
• Require accommodations to be maintained in safe, clean condition at all times.
• Provide clear direction to subordinates.
• Prepare periodic performance evaluations for subordinates.
• Maintain vessel and crew readiness for emergency responses; immediately report any collision, stranding, fire, grounding, personnel injury, etc. onboard the vessel.
• Conduct and report the results of periodic vessel audits and inspections.
• Operate and maintain the assigned vessel in accordance with the quality, safety, security and environmental protection policies and procedures.
• Organize and conduct required training, drills and exercises.
• Complete, submit and maintain required records, logs and reports.
• Ensure adequate vessel manning and watches.
• Project a positive company image and maintain professional, amicable relationships with customers, pilots, terminal personnel and the public at all times.
• Responsible to maintain proper personal hygiene.
• Other duties as may be assigned.
• Current U.S. Coast Guard license as Master with appropriate tonnage rating and
• Current U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential, any rating.
• Valid Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC).
• Valid Radio License.
• Current First Aid/CPR and Firefighting training.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Pass pre-employment drug test.
• Pass pre-employment physical.
• Minimum one year serving as Master or Mate.
The unpredictable, ever-changing and inherently dangerous nature of vessel
operations require the Captain to be physically qualified to ensure his/her own safety, as
well as that of the vessel and crew. Specific physical requirements include:
• Adequate vision (i.e., absent any color blindness or impairment that cannot be
corrected with prescription lenses).
• Adequate hearing.
• Capable of walking and standing on wet surfaces for extended periods of time.
• Able to handle heavy lines and operate heavy machinery.
• Ability to climb a 12-foot ladder without assistance.
• Ability to hoist oneself up and over a 12-inch wide, 6 foot high barrier.
• Sufficient strength to:
o Lift 100 lbs. from deck to waist level;
o Lift 50 lbs. from deck to shoulder level;
o Lift 35 lbs. from deck to overhead; and
o Pull (drag) 120 lbs. at least 20 feet
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone at 757-494-2895 ext. 6611 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.