The Bridgeport and Port Jefferson Ferry is currently seeking Deckhands. MUST be local to the NY or CT locations.
Description of Duties:
· Handles lines to and from the vessel during operations at the direction of the Officer in Charge of the Navigation Watch; secures vessel to dock.
· Loading and off-loading supplies to and from vessel; Receives, stows and secures supplies and provisions brought aboard.
· Store, secure and tie down all freight being transported
· Ensure that lifesaving, firefighting, and all other safety equipment are in working order.
· Launch and clear away lifeboats/IBA’s in the event of an emergency. Take command of IBA’s, Rescue boat, lifeboats, and other lifesaving equipment. (Must be a Coast Guard certified lifeboatman)
· Participates in all training, drills and exercises.
· Performs assigned firefighting, man overboard and abandon ship duties as assigned on the Station Bill.
· Performs cleaning and maintenance duties as assigned by the Captain or Mate.
· Project a positive company image to customers, other mariners, terminal personnel and the public.
· Other duties as may be assigned by the Mate or Captain.
· Current U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential with Able Seaman (AB) rating.
· Valid Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC).
· High school diploma or equivalent.
· Pass pre-employment drug test.
· Pass pre-employment physical.
· Minimum two years as an Ordinary Seaman.
The unpredictable, ever-changing and inherently dangerous nature of vessel operations require the Able Seaman to be physically qualified to ensure his/her own safety, as well as that of the vessel and crew. Specific physical requirements include:
· Adequate vision (i.e., absent any color blindness or impairment that cannot be corrected with prescription lenses).
· Adequate hearing.
· Capable of walking and standing on wet surfaces for extended periods of time.
· Able to handle heavy lines and operate heavy machinery.
· Ability to climb a 12-foot ladder without assistance.
· Ability to hoist oneself up and over a 12-inch wide, 6 foot high barrier.
· Sufficient strength to:
- Lift 100 lbs. from deck to waist level;
- Lift 50 lbs. from deck to shoulder level;
- Lift 35 lbs. from deck to overhead; and
- Pull (drag) 120 lbs. at least 20 feet.
Tug experience as Ordinary Seaman at least two years.