The Port Engineer is a skilled Engineer who is responsible for estimating, planning, and performing short and long-term maintenance, repairs, and modifications on vessels for a specific region.
· Ensures all vessel engineers are properly trained, qualified, and comply with a regulatory training and/or certification requirements.
· Assists in the development and adherence of the maintenance and repair budget.
· Supervises the timely and cost effective maintenance, repair, modifications, and refurbishment projects of existing fleet.
· Develops dry-docking specifications, vendor bid packages, and evaluation projects.
· Monitors the contractor and/or shipyard during maintenance and repair projects.
· Conducts on-site surveys of vessels and equipments to determine maintenance and repair needs.
· Makes repair recommendations to General Manager.
· Analyzes problems and interfaces with appropriate operations personnel.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Two years as an engineer on tugboats and mechanical experience working on Detroit Diesel 71 Series, EMD, Fairbanks Morse, and Caterpillar engines. Electrical system experience also required.
· High School Degree or equivalent is required.
· A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field preferred. Maritime Academy graduate is preferred.
· USCG Merchant Mariner Credential and Transportation Worker Identification Card.
· USCG license preferred.
· Strong analytical, communication, and problem solving skills
The Port Engineer is responsible and accountable to the General Manager.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 757-494-2895 ext. 6611 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.